The situation faced by Bombay in the aftermath of India's partition was grim due to the influx of refugees. Sanitation in the crowded camps was poor. Health problems had multiplied. It was beyond the ability of city's public hospitals to cope with the situation. Provision of essential healthcare facility to the ailing poor thus became the need of the hour. It was at this crucial juncture that a band of Sindhi philanthropists, under the leadership of the late Shri Paramanand Deepchand Hinduja, came forward to extend a helping hand.
Mr. Paramanand Hinduja pooled resources and set-up an outdoor clinic the 'Seth Deepchand Gangaram Hinduja Health Care' in December 1951 at Dubash House, Cadell Road (now Veer Savarkar Marg), to cater primarily, to the needs of the refugees.
A few motivated doctors from the Sindhi community formed the core of the medical faculty. It had elementary outpatient facilities and its own dispensary. Just a year later, in February 1953, the 'National Hospital' came into being with 30 beds; the bed strength gradually went up to 70.
To make the hospital's management broad based, it was handed over to the “National Health & Education Society” after the Society was formed and registered under the Public Trusts Act.
In 1956, the society purchased a plot of land opposite Dubash House and the National Hospital was shifted in 1963 to a new building (now called the East Building) with 100 beds; in addition, expanded outpatient facilities were made available.
It was soon realised that the 100-bed hospital would not be adequate for a major modern health care and Medical Research Centre, which was the ultimate aim. Accordingly, Dubhash House, along with the land on which it stood was purchased in 1967.
Unfortunately, Shri Paramanand Hinduja passed away in 1971 before concrete steps could be taken to implement his ideas. Thereafter his sons, carried forward the legacy of their father, of translating his dream into a reality.
In 1976, the society renamed the National Hospital as the "P. D. Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre" as a humble tribute to the Founder's pioneering efforts to bring modern health care services within the reach of a common man.
The family soon took steps to create a tertiary care hospital. The main goal was to blend technology with human skills and ingenuity by providing state-of-the-art equipment, assembling a team of talented and committed professionals and creating an atmosphere comparable to what exists in foreign countries to dispense quality health care.
The Hinduja brothers entered into a collaborative arrangement with the world-renowned Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, the oldest and largest of the teaching hospitals associated with the Harvard Medical School for assistance in planning, equipping and staffing the new complex.
Detailed plans were formulated to construct a 16 storey building on the newly purchased plot and it was also decided to add two more floors to the east building.
The year 1986 was a landmark in the history of the Hinduja National Hospital. On August 16th, the dream was realised with the commissioning of the new 300-bed tertiary care hospital complex. The project funded by the family, had state-of-the-art equipment and was staffed by a team of brilliant doctors, amongst whom many were qualified and experienced from abroad .
The concept of full time consultants, which was new to Mumbai, was introduced against odds, while maintaining the pluralistic pattern of hospital-based, visiting and part-time consultants. The principle that all payments to consultants should be through the hospital was also laid down.
In the year 1991, a new plot of land close to the east building was purchased and two new buildings were constructed to accommodate the nursing school and provide residential quarters for doctors, nurses and nursing students, thus making available additional space for medical activities in the east building.