Area Of Interest
- Intractable Epilepsy.
- Neurometabolic Disorders.
- Autism and other Neurologic problem
Dr. Vrajesh Udani is a Full time Hospital Based Consultant in Pediatric Neurology with us since December 1990. He possess more than 34 years of clinical experience.
He serves to a large referred population of children with intractable epilepsy, neurometabolic disorders, autism and other neurologic problems.
He also manages a "Child Developmental Clinic" - an active postgraduate training program that attracts pediatricians from all parts of the country.
He also is Honorary Asst. Professor Pediatrics & Neurology at Grant Medical College,Mumbai andHonorary Consultant In Child Neurology at Bai Jerbai Wadia Hospital for Children (Pediatric Post-graduate Institute), Parel, Mumbai, since April 1995.
His prior experience is summarized below:
- 1977 - M.B.B.S. from Grants Medical College University of Bombay.
- 1981 - M.D. Pediatrics, Grant Medical College & JJ group of hospitals
- 1988 - Diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Neurophysiology
- 1989 - Diplomate of the American Board of Neurology with special competence in Child Neurology
Experience Abroad (USA):
- 1983-86: Fellowship in Pediatric Neurology ( 3 years). He was bestowed with authorities of Chief Resident during the last year of this program.
- 1986-87: Fellowship in Neurophysiology.
- 1987-88: Fellowship in PL-3 Pediatric residency - State University of New York, Health Science Center Brooklyn and King’s County Hospital, Brooklyn, New York.
- 1996-97: Fellowship in Epilepsy Surgery at Epilepsy/ Neuroscience Center, Miami Children’s Hospital.
Experience in India:
- 1979-82: Pediatric residency 3.5 years. He worked as Chief resident for 2 years and dedicated 6 months each in Neonatology & Neurology.
- 1978-79: Internships at Grant Medical College & JJ group of hospitals, Mumbai
He has received various awards to his credit.
1. Dr.RS Poredi gold medal & prize 1977, for securing the highest marks in Medicine.
2. Govind Vishnu Juvekar prize 1980, for securing the highest marks in Medicine in 1977.
3. Shri Kund Gordhandas Bhalja prize for Medicine for 1977.
4. P.F. Soonawala prize for Medicine in 1977.
5. Kaikhushroo Sorabji Kanga scholarship for 1977.Ranked lst. in the Class & in Medicine in the University of Bombay.
Dr. Manek Bhagat gold medal for the highest rank in Pediatrics. 1981.
- Life Member - Indian Academy of Pediatrics.
- Member - Indian Epilepsy Association, India.
- Member - Indian Academy of Neurology
- Member - The Neurology Society of India
- Past Member - Child Neurology Society, USA
- Past Member - American Epilepsy Society, USA
- Patron and advisor - Maharashtra Dyslexia Association
- Teacher and Examiner - M Ed ( Special Education) SNDT Women’s University, Juhu, Mumbai. 1990-1997.
- Advisor - Lady Anusuya Singhania Medical Research Society, Kota, Rajasthan.1989-1996
- Member - Asia Pacific IVIG Advisory Board.2003.
- Member - Consensus committee convened by Indian Academy of Pediatrics.2003.
- Referee for Indian Pediatrics
Indian Journal Of Pediatrics
Journal of Postgraduate Medicine
Journal of the Association of Physicians Of India
Indian Journal of Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Guest Editor Indian J Ped. 72;4 2005
Joint Organizing Secretary – International Update in Neurosciences: November 8-12 1993 Mumbai, India. .
Joint Organizing Secretary - 1st International Update in Pediatric Epilepsy. 1998.
Organiser - 40th National Conference, Indian Academy of Pediatrics (PEDICON 2003)
Member - Scientific Committee, Asian-Oceanic Congress of Child Neurology, New Delhi,2004.
Member - Organising Committee, IVIG in Neurology- Satellite meeting, Asian Oceanic Congress of Neurology, Singapore 2004
Joint Organiser : Asia-Pacific Childhood Disability Update, Mumbai,2005.
Organiser: National Consensus Meeting, 2006 at Hinduja Hospital.
Dr. Udani has authored books, presented papers and participated as faculty at various national and International conferences. He has been actively providing guest lectures at various conferences and institutions.
He also has various National and International publications to his account. He also headed various nationally and internationally acclaimed research activities.
Details of few are herein:
- Detection of HTLV I DNA & Antigen in Blood & Spinal Fluid in Patients of Chronic Progressive Myelopathy: S.Bhagavati, R.Kula, V.P.Udani, B.Poiesz. NEJM 318(18) 1141-7.May 1988.
- Megelencephalic Leukodystrophy in an Asian Indian Ethnic Group.B.Singhal, R. Gurshahni, V. Udani, V. Biniwale .Pediatr Neurol 1996 14(4) 291-6.
- Difficult to control epilepsy in childhood-a long term study of 123 cases:V.P.Udani, Dharnidharka, A.Nair, M.Oka. Indian Pediatrics 30:10 1190-1206.Oct. 1993
- Para/post infectious recovering encephalitis with localised basal ganglia involvement: V.P. Udani, V. Dharnidharka, AR Gajendragadkar, Indian Pediatrics 34(8): 721-6 1997 August.
- Extra and central pontine myelinolysis in a child with adrenal insufficiency. V.P. Udani, Dharnidharka, A. Gajendragadkar, B.D’Souza. Pediat Neurol. 17/2 Sep.97; 158-160
- Sporadic Stiffman in a Young Girl.V.P. Udani, V. Dharnidharka, A. Gajendragadkar, S. Udani Pediatric Neurology. 17(1): 58-60, 1997 July
- Detection of Tubercle Bacilli and Antigen in Bronchial Aspirates: P.M.Udani, A.Samuel, V.P.Udani, S.Udani, S-Khatib, S.B. Saxena. Indian Jour of Pediatrics, 54:69, 1987.
- Association of income, occupation and parental education with growth and scholastic achievement in school children in Mumbai. R U Singhania, N. Cameron, N. Udani. J. Trop pediatr 1987 April 33(2): 78-84
- Zellweger’s syndrome. R C Shroff, A Patil, R H Merchant, VP Udani, M P Colaco, S Prabhu. Indian pediatrics, 34(2):149-53, Feb. 1997.
- Evaluation and Management of Intractable Epilepsy. VP Udani supplement- Indian J Pediatrics 2000; 67; SS1: S61-S70
- Neurometabolic Disorders - a clinical approach: VP Udani, Pediatric Clinics of India.
- Proteus Syndrome - CNS imaging findings. Rivista di neuroradiologica 1999: 12(4); 575- 580 KS Jhaveri, VP Udani, PD Shetty, MM Shroff
- Neurocutaneous Melanosis - A Case Report Rivista Di Neuroradiologica 1999: 12(4); 581- 584 MM Shroff, KS Jhaveri, VP Udani, AB Verma.
- Principles of Management of Epilepsy. B. Talukdar., VP Udani. Pediatrics today Vol ii (2) 181-186, March- April 1999
- Chemical Diagnosis of Congenital Metabolic Disorders by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectros in India. Dave U.P., VP Udani, Fernando J, Zhang C., Matsumoto. IJHG 1(3):2001
- Treatment of Menkes Disease with Parenteral Copper Histidine. Viridian BG, Gogra NJ, Udani VP, Kshirsagar NA. Indian Pediatrics J. 2002 Feb; 39(2):183-5
- Ketogenic Diet in Childhood Epilepsy: A Review. P.S. Prabhu, Prabhu SV, VP Udani, Ped.Clinics of India – Jan 2002
- Unrecognised Ventriculitis / Meningitis Presenting As Hydrocephalus In Infancy. VP Udani, S. Udani, R. Merani, M Bavdekar. Indian Pediatr. 2003 Sep; 40(9):870-3.
- Randomized Treatment Study of Inosiplex Versus Combined Inosiplex and Intraventicular Alpha Interferon In Sub-acute Sclerosing Panencephalitis (SSPE) - International Multicenter Study: The International Consortium On SSPE. Ankara, VP Udani, Chaula Sanghani, Hinduja National Hospital & Research Center Providence, et al. Accepted for publication J Child Neurol 2003
- Head Up Tilt Test In The Diagnosis Of Neurocardiogenic Syncope In Childhood And Adolescence. VP Udani, Bavdekar M, Karia S, Neurol India.2004 Jun; 52(2):185-7.
- Recurrent Acute Transverse Myelopathy: Association with Anti-phospholipid Antibody Syndrome. Shaharao V., Bartakke S, Muranjan MN, Bavdekar MS, Bavdekar SB, Udani VP.Indian J Pediatr. 2004 Jun; 71(6):559-61.
- Pediatric Epilepsy - An Indian Perspective. Udani VP Indian Pediatr. 2005 Apr; 72(4):309-13.
- Pyridoxine dependent seizures in an 18 months old child - A case report. Neurology India. 2005.
- Chronic Epilepsy in Neurocysticercosis - Acute Recurrent Vs Remote Symptomatic. J. Sanghvi, VP Udani Neurology India. 2005.
- Natural history & MRI follow-up in 9 Sturge Weber Syndrome patients and clinical correlation. VP Udani, S. Pujar, P. Munot, S. Maheshwari, N. Mehta. J Child Neurol. 2007, vol.22, no.4, April 2007 pg 479 – 483
- Etiology of symptomatic in first three years of life – a prospective study of 100 cases. VP Udani, P. Munot, S. Gupta, M. Ursekar. Indian Pediatr 2009; 46: 127-132
- Catastrophic epilepsies: medical and surgical treatment neurology Asia 2007; 12 (supplement 1): 4-6. VP Udani
- Long-term prognosis of neonatal seizures – where and we? Indian Pediatrics volume 45- September 2008. Pg 739-742.
- Neonatal Hypoglycemic Brain Injury - a common cause of infantile-onset remote symptomatic epilepsy; risk factors and clinical features VP Udani, P. Munot, S. Gupta, M. Ursekar. Indian Pediatr volume 46 – February 17, 2009.
- Guidelines for diagnosis and management of childhood epilepsy - expert committee on pediatric epilepsy, Indian academy of pediatrics - volume 46.August 17, 2009. Pg 681-698
- Biotinidase deficiency presenting as Recurrent Myelopathy in a 7 year old boy and a review of the literature – pediatric neurology 45 (2011) 261-264.
- Acute Infantile Encephalopathy Predominantly Affecting The Frontal Lobes (AIEF) – Indian Pediatric – DOI 10.1007/s12098-011-064-3.
- Motor Weakness in Infancy and Childhood - Clinical Approach. VP Udani Pg 278-281, IAP Textbook of Pediatrics 1999. Editor: A Parthasarthy. Jaypee Medical Publishers, New Delhi.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. VP Udani Pg 938-957, Vol 1, Textbook of Pediatrics 1998. Editor: P.M. Udani. Jaypee Medical Publishers, New Delhi.
- Intracranial Hypertension in Childhood: VP Udani. Essentials in Pediatrics. Official publication: Indian Pediatrics- Guest editor, Dr. B. Talukdar.1997
- Headaches in Children: VP Udani. Publication of the 21st. Rajasthan State Pediatric Annual Conference of the Rajasthan State Chapter of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics.1993 Nov.
- Ambulatory Cassette EEG Monitoring In Childhood Update in Child Neurology. VP Udani. Editor GP Mathur 1992
- Febrile Seizures - A Viewpoint VP Udani. Academy Today. IAP. July 1991
- Epilepsy in the first 3 years of life. V Udani in “Epilepsy in India”. Ed BS Singhal, D. Nag. Pgs 76-90. Pub Indian Epilepsy Association. 2000
- Metabolic Disorders of the Nervous System. VP Udani in API Textbook of Medicine Ed: SN Shah, MP Anand, VN Acharya, SK Bichile, DR Karnad, SA Kamath, YP Munjal, SR Joshi, RB Pathak, MY Nadkar, ME Yeolekar. 7th edition 2003. Pgs 853-861. Published by the Assn. Of Physicians of India. Urvi Compugraphics, Mumbai.
- Pediatric Neurology - An Indian Perspective. VP Udani in “Textbook of Tropical Neurology” Ed Prof N. H. Wadia -2005.
- Acute Flaccid Paralysis. VP Udani in Advances in Pediatrics – Second Edition by Pedicon 2012.