What is the Diabetes Self Management (DSM) Clinic?
Diabetes Self Management Education (DSME) has a vital role in improving outcomes of
diabetes care. The US National Standards for
Diabetes Self-Management Education and
Support state that patients with diabetes should
Studies have found that DSME is associated
with improved diabetes knowledge and
improved self-care behavior, lower HbA1c,
quality of life, coping, weight and costs. Group
sessions for DSME have been found to be
effective and outcomes were better when
content was culturally appropriate.
Why DSM Clinic?
India is experiencing a diabetes epidemic.
Keeping in mind that India will soon have the
maximum number of diabetics in the world, the
cost of diabetes is growing at a worrisome pace.
However, there is hope. The US and UK
governments have taken DSME very seriously
to be a core part of good diabetes care. The new
DSM clinic at P. D. Hinduja Hospital, Mahim is
conducted by Dr. Roshani Sanghani -
Consultant Endocrinologist, which is a
combination of her US training and experience
along with her Indian training and practice
experience at P. D. Hinduja Hospital.
Will DSM Clinic help me?
The Consultant is confident that using select
newer classes of diabetes treatments and
empowering patients to lead healthier lifestyles
is likely to result in better diabetes outcomes.
She uses a systematic approach and guides the
patients to see where they have been
experiencing difficulty in managing their
diabetes. Each patient is capable of making
powerfully effective lifestyle changes and the
doctor is very excited to help them along their
What is the difference between the DSM
Clinic and routine diabetes prescriptions or
The DSM clinic is based on mindful eating and
mindful living. This means that the patient is
given information and choice to be fully involved
in their healthcare decisions. The patient is
made responsible for their lifestyle. Patients will
- How to become their own diabetes expert
- How to balance eating for health and for enjoyment
- Ways to become more active, build muscle and understand portion size
- The importance of weight loss in diabetes
- Important medication side effects
- To cope better with negative emotions and the stress of diabetes
- To develop a problem solving attitude because life issues affect diabetes
- To reduce risks of complications of diabetes
- That they are not alone and learn from the experience of others with diabetes
What does DSM Clinic Includes?
- 2 Private OPD visits with DSM Clinic Consultant
- 2 group sessions covering diabetes self-care behaviors.
How does a patient enroll for DSM clinic?
- OPD appointment to be booked via calling 39818181
- Payment for the DSM Clinic at the OPD counter on arrival. KEEP THE VOUCHER WITH YOU for all 4 DSM visits.
- Confirm the date of group session during the first personal OPD Visit to the consultant of DSM clinic.
What should I bring to the first OPD appointment?
- All prior medical files
- Current medications (bring the tablet strips and insulin)
- A list of your diabetes concerns
Fresh reports will save time:
- Any home sugar meter recordings
- Urine microalbumin/creatinine ratio
- 25OH vitamin D level
- iron binding studies
- Vit B12 level
- Fasting lipid panel
- Serum creatinine, SGOT, SGPT
- Creactive protein
- Fasting C-peptide, fasting insulin
- Latest retina checkup by an
ophthalmologist to check for
diabetic retina change
To know more about Diabetes Self Management Clinic (DSM)
Call: 022 - 3981 8181
Venue: OPD building, 4th floor, Doctors lounge
Details of Group Sessions
First session: Mondays at 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 am
Second session: Thursdays at 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 am