Masters in Emergency Medicine
The concept of Emergency medicine is a matrix of specialties and super specialties under one umbrella. This department not only caters to medical & surgical emergencies but also functions as a marketing window of the hospital with qualities of kind and humble reception, good counseling tactics and aggressive resuscitation in the emergency room, on the road, in the ambulance and all over the hospital even in the odd hours.
Unlike other departments, this specialty has to be on toes for 24 hours. Emergency care giver can't wait for investigations and many times have to go ahead with the treatment even without coming to final diagnosis in order to save the precious lives. Emergency Medicine is a relatively new specialty that is expanding at a phenomenal pace throughout the globe. In India too, few post-graduate programs have been initiated at a limited number of institutions, but an enormous need still exists to train many more Emergency Physicians for the nation's ever increasing large demand for these healthcare providers.
Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai in collaboration with Society for Emergency Medicine, India (SEMI), is launching a 3 year post graduate academic program for aspirants in the emerging postgraduate specialty of Emergency Medicine from 1st June 2016. This programme is an endeavour to open up career options for MBBS graduates to excel in the field of Emergency Medicine.
Hinduja Hospital with SEMI will train and prepare these students to practice in the complex and challenging area of emergency medicine at the highest levels. At the successful conclusion of the program, the student shall become competent in life saving emergency interventions, the use of the various diagnostic tests, and interprets their results intelligently & promptly.
Admissions for the course are open and selection process is slated for June, 2016. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their application details. Only selected candidates will be called for the written and oral test, with prior information by e-mail / telephonically. The 1 hour written test for 50 marks will comprise MCQs based on MBBS knowledge, and will be held in the conference hall of Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai as per the dates decided by the authorities. The Interview for 50 marks will be held at the same place. No TA/DA will be reimbursed for the written test and interview at Hinduja Hospital.
During the course they shall undergo a rigorous clinical training at Hinduja Hospital, a tertiary care center under the guidance of local Hinduja Hospital faculty and visiting faculty from SEMI and other institutes.
Through this program, the candidates shall be exposed to:
- Advanced cardiac, trauma, pediatric life support,
- Adequate knowledge in triaging the patients.
- Identification and treatment of life threatening emergencies.
- Dealing with non life threatening emergency conditions and referral to appropriate specialty if needed.
- Adequate skills to resuscitate a critically ill patient. To perform common emergency and life saving procedures.
- To participate in academic activity, emergency medicine conferences.
- Training in disaster management medicine and emergency medical services (EMS)
Features of the programme
- A seven day observational programme* will be arranged in an external institution of choice by SEMI if the candidate wishes.
- Topper in each batch shall be awarded "Medal of Excellence" by SEMI during its annual conference.
- Where do I obtain the Application Form for the Masters in Emergency Medicine course?
The application form for the MEM course 2016 can be downloaded from Hinduja Hospital website www.hindujahospital.com
- What is the eligibility criterion?
Candidate for admission to the programme shall be required to possess the following qualifications:
- He/She must have a MBBS Degree from a medical college which is recognized by Medical Council of India, New Delhi
- Obtained permanent registration certificate from any of the State Medical Councils or Medical Council of India.
- Foreign Medical Graduate should have cleared their FMG screening exam before enrolling into the course and should have a valid MCI registration.
- What will be the application form fee? Is the application fee refundable?
The application fee of Rs. 1000 once paid is not refundable or transferable
- Will I be paid stipend during the three year residency?
Students will be paid a fixed stipend as per hospital standard. The stipend for the student will be irrespective of the years of experience.
- What will be the selection procedure?
Last date for applications will be 5th May, 2016. Only selected candidates will be called for the written and oral test, with prior information by e-mail / telephonically, on 11th May 2016.
- If I don't have Maharashtra Medical Council (MMC) Registration, Can I still apply?
Foreign Medical Graduate should have cleared their FMG screening exam before enrolling into the course and should have a valid MCI registration.
- Will I be provided accommodation at the hospital?
Accommodation is strictly as per availability. If available, you will be provided shared accommodation at subsidized cost. Food is also provided at subsidized cost in the staff dining at the hospital. However the applicable charges will be deducted from the stipend.
*expenses to be borne by the candidate. Hinduja Hospital and SEMI will only facilitate for the observation programme.
Instructions to applicants:
- Candidate for admission to fellowship programme shall be required to possess the Following qualifications:
(a) He/she must