Collagen and Lung Clinic
Collagen and Lung clinic treats patients with connective tissue disorders (CTD). CTDs are a group of autoimmune diseases in which auto-antibodies attack the body's own organs and systems. Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is frequently an important complication seen in many of the CTDs like Scleroderma, Rheumatoid arthritis etc and can lead to respiratory failure, pulmonary hypertension and even death if untreated. Managing these patients is often highly-complex and needs opinions from experienced specialists.
The Collagen and Lung clinic is a joint clinic run by Specialists from two different fields namely Rheumatology and Respiratory Medicine. In this clinic, decisions about the investigation and management of complicated cases can be made in conjunction by two different specialists who can combine their respective areas of expertise. Patients appreciate getting collaborative opinions about their care from specialists with distinct areas of expertise who are experienced in managing different aspects of their disease.
Advantages of the clinic
- Better management of patients
- Cost effective – Patients are benefitted by seeing two specialist at the same time as it reduces cost of travelling and consultation fee.
- Saves time- both patients and doctors
- Services of experienced Specialists can be extended to more patients under a single roof.
- Opportunity for better research
- Patients with Rheumatoid arthritis
- Systemic Lupus erythematosus
- Mixed connective tissue disease
- ANCA associated Vasculitis who have lung involvement in the form of ILD
- Lung infections
- Pulmonary vasculitis etc.
First Wednesday of every month: 13.00hrs – 16.40hrs
Dr. Rohini Samant
Consultant - Rheumatologist