web site statistics software

History

The situation faced by Bombay in the aftermath of India's partition was grim due to the influx of refugees and sanitation in the crowded camps was poor.

Health problems had multiplied. It was beyond the ability of city's public hospitals to cope with the situation. Provision of essential health care facility to the ailing poor thus became the need of the hour.

It was at this crucial juncture that a band of Sindhi philanthropists under the leadership of late Shri Parmanand Deepchand Hinduja came forward to extend a helping hand.

The Beginning

Mr. Parmanand Hinduja pooled resources and set-up an outdoor clinic the 'Seth Deepchand Gangaram Hinduja Health Care' in December 1951 in Dubash House, a rented building on Cadell Road (now Veer Savarkar Marg), to cater primarily, to the needs of the refugees.

A few motivated doctors from the Sindhi community formed the core of the medical faculty. It had elementary outpatient facilities and its own dispensary. Just a year later, in February 1953,the 'National Hospital' came into being with 30 beds; the bed strength gradually went upto 70.

To make the hospital's management broad based, it was handed over to the National Health & Education Society after the society was formed and registered under the Public Trusts Act.

The Growth

In 1956 the society purchased a plot of land opposite Dubash House and the National Hospital was shifted in 1963 to a new two storeyed building constructed on this plot (now called the East Building) with 100 beds; in addition, expanded outpatient facilities were made available.

It was soon realized that the 100-bed hospital would not be adequate for a major modern health care and Medical Research Centre, which was the ultimate aim. Accordingly, Dubhash House, along with the land on which it stood was purchased in 1967.

Unfortunately, Shri Parmanand Hinduja passed away in 1971 before concrete steps could be taken to implement his ideas. Thereafter his sons carried forward the legacy of their father, of translating his dream into a reality.

In 1976 the society renamed the National Hospital as the "P. D. Hinduja Hospital and Medical Research Centre" as a humble tribute to the Founder's pioneering efforts to bring modern health care within reach of the common man.

The New Hospital

The family soon took steps to create a tertiary care hospital. The main goal was to blend technology with human skills and ingenuity by providing state of the art equipment, assembling a team of talented and committed professionals and creating an atmosphere comparable to what exists in foreign countries to dispense quality health care.

The Hinduja brothers entered into a collaborative arrangement with the world-renowned Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, the oldest and largest of the teaching hospitals associated with the Harvard Medical School for assistance in planning, equipping and staffing the new complex.

Detailed plans were formulated to construct a 16 storeyed building on the newly purchased plot and it was also decided to add two more floors to the east building.

1986 was a landmark in the history of the P. D. Hinduja Hospital. On August 16th, the dream was realized with the commissioning of the new 300-bed tertiary care hospital complex. The project funded by the family, had state-of-the-art equipment and was staffed by a team of brilliant doctors, many of them with foreign qualifications and experience.

The concept of full time consultants, which was new to Mumbai, was introduced against odds, while maintaining the pluralistic pattern of hospital-based, visiting and part-time consultants. The principle that all payments to consultants should be through the hospital was also laid down.

In 1991 a new plot of land close to the east building was purchased and two new buildings were constructed to accommodate the nursing school and provide residential quarters for doctors, nurses and nursing students thus making available additional space for medical activities in the east building.