Dr. C. K. Ponde
Section Head – Invasive & Non-Invasive, Consultant - Cardiologist
M.D. (Gen. Med), D.M. (Card), D.N.B. (Card) FACC (USA), FSCAI (USA) FCSI, FISE, FICC, FIAE
The Cardiology Department focuses on holistic approach to Cardiac Care through invasive & non-invasive therapeutic & diagnostic services managed by dedicated team of doctors, nurses and support staff.
- Congenital heart disease
- Coronary artery disease (narrowing of the arteries)
- Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Heart attack (blocking of blood flow in heart)
- Heart failure (improper pumping of blood in heart)
- Heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy)
- Arrythmia (irregular, slow or fast heart beating)
- Heart valve disease (issues in opening and closing of heart)
- Pericardial disease
Non Invasive Cardiology:
The Non-Invasive section houses the most advanced machines for carrying out cardiac investigations. Non-invasive cardiology utilizes various techniques to diagnose the heart problem. There are no needles, or instruments inserted in the body, hence the name non-invasive cardiology. The cardiologist recommends medication and / or lifestyle changes once the risk or condition is identified.
The techniques used are:
- Echocardiography (ECG): With the help of ultrasound waves images are generated to know about any infection, structural issues or even blood pumping of heart.
- Stress tests (TMT): It is a process of cardiologist monitoring and diagnosing the possible heart issue for the patients in stress while during exercise.
- Heart monitors: 24 hrs Holter monitor, monitors heart’s electrical activity over a period of time.
- Ambulatory Blood Pressure monitoring.
- Stress Thallium Study : A nuclear imaging test to know the flow of blood in heart while rest or exercising.
- Dobutamine Stress Thallium (carried out by the Nuclear Imaging department).
- Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE).
- 2 D Echo.
- Cardiac electrophysiology: Studing the electrical currents which generate heartbeats.
- CT scans: heart disease and atherosclerosis are monitored with CT scans.
- The hospital has advanced Non-invasive Electrocardiography investigations: T wave Alternans (TWA), Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and Late Potentials by Signal-averaged ECG (SAECG). These are specialized tests done to identify patients at high risk for Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA).
It identifies or treats structural or electrical abnormalities within the heart structure with open or minimal invasive surgery.
Key procedures are:
- Angiography / Coronary Angiography : It is used to find out how much the arteries have become narrow.
- Angioplasty: An angioplasty is performed when the blood does not flow normally if the arteries are clogged due to plaques. A tiny balloon in inserted in the clogged part and the plaque is pushed against the wall, thus allowing the blow to flow in increased capacity. This is done after an angiography is performed.
- Stenting: This is done along with angioplasty, in which a stent (metal coil) is placed so that the clogged vessel is opened permanently.
- Balloon Mitral Valvuloplasties:Procedure to repair the narrowed opening of heart valve Pediatric Invasive Cardiology.
- Siagnostic catheterization and therapeutic modalities.
- Pulmonary Valvuloplasty.
- Aortic Valvuloplasty.
- Permanent Pacemakers (PPM)
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)
- Biventricular Pacing (BiV or Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy)
Besides diagnostic electrophysiology study, we also offer therapeutic ablative procedures for various arrhythmias with the use of Conventional EP systems and also state of the art mapping system (St. Jude Ensite Velocity). We are the first Hospital to acquire a Mapping system in Western India. We also offer ablation therapy for atrial fibrillation and ventricular fibrillation.
- State of art and fully integrated catheterization lab that handles simplex and complex complex coronary angioplasties and other procedures.
- The combo cath lab offers diagnostic and therapeutic facility at the same time.
- Structural Cardiac Intervention: Sservices offered are like TAVR / TAVI (Trans catheter aortic valve replacement), . Transcatheter pulmonary valve replacement (TPVR / PPVI), Transcatheter mitral valve replacement (TMVR), Mitra-clip, PFO closure, Left atrial appendage closure and many others.
- The department is has latest Electrophysiology (EP) equipments , offers - pacemaker implantation, Intracardiac defibrillator (ICD) implantation, Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT), EP study, Radio-frequency ablation for complex arrhythmias etc.